APT Dolomiti Mel

Choose your language
 
Mel

Accessibility
One of the most significant historical centers in the province of Belluno, Mel presents a very important and rich history. From the Paleo-Venetian to the Gaelic period, testified by some land toponyms such as Canzago and Tiago. Then, the Roman Empire, whose traces emerged from many findings such as tombstones, inscriptions, coins, milestones and old roads such as Claudia Augusta Altinate Road, whose traces are still visible in Praderadego. Then, the Longobard domination made evident by the style of church of San Donato. In Mel a paleo-Venetian construction was found just one kilometer away from the town, in this area, after a period of excavation a complete cemetery was found which included about sixty tombs, circles and fences. But when we think about Mel, we immediately envision the castle of Zumelle "surely created to absolve the fundamental function of military fortresses, besides representing a local political symbol; as testimony to its importance, we have all of the attention, aspirations of ownership, the quarrels, the destruction and reconstruction of this place." It is the only castle that survived in the Belluno area and it is the visible memory of many centuries of history. Also, the main square of Mel, there is an architectural element of great value and interest, the buildings that face the square contribute to a very pleasant overall picture: "the Fulcis house", now called the Zadra house, built in the XVII century, is connected to the 1700's Guarnieri Palace through a large arched door; the old church of the Addolorata; the new parish; the 1500's building that now hosts the city hall and that holds prestigious frescoes representing some episodes of the Raging Orlando, the house of Del Zotto and the huge Delle Contesse Palace (with its artistic chimneys) completely restored by the county administration because it will soon be allocated as a cultural center; the Franciscan house, one of the oldest buildings in town, dated back to the XIV century, now a national monument.Other characteristics of the county of Mel are its little villages, like Marcador and its ancient little churches; for example, the church of San Paolo that is now used as a house or the church of San Bartolomeo, which only has the lonely tower bell remaining, or finally the church of San Mattia where the altar piece of the Virgin between Saint Paul and Saint Peter can be seen. Another village is Farra, where a very old villa of Longobardian origin still stands. Pagogna is another village with its church dedicated to Saint Simon and Carl, and the ancient house, not very well preserved that in any case promotes understanding of the typical layout of the villa. And also, the village of Pellegai, with its old church of San Martino. Carve and Villa di Villa are both old villages that host churches with beautiful pieces of work inside, such as the one made by Luigi Cima. And then Bardies, Corte, Cordellon, Nave, Fol, Gus and many other villages that should be remembered. Each one of them has its own small church which is a recurrent and important motif in the popular culture and history, where there is no real church, there are the so-called "tarioi" which are little sacred constructions. This area is still a natural, clean environment with a nice and tranquil surrounding. A place where values are still alive. During the winter, Mel is alive with its people, its culture, sport events. In the beautiful village of Zelante, a circuit for cross-country has been created. Everybody, both beginners and experts can do the five kilometers of the Tappa Bassa trail. For those who cannot do this by day, there is a chance of sweating during the night. In fact, two kilometers of this trail have been entirely illuminated.

Top
Provincia di Belluno - Via S. Andrea, 5 - 32100 Belluno
Tel:0437-959111; Fax: 0437-959280
Back home I E F D S