APT Dolomiti Ponte nelle Alpi

Choose your language
 
Ponte nelle Alpi

Accessibility
The origin of the first urban settlements in the modern territory of Ponte nelle Alpi, can be traced back to the Roman era. As a testimony, many tombs were found with little rooms that contained metal vases, clay vases with burnt bones inside and the inscription found in the area of Polpet. There are many findings in Soccher, Cadola and in Canevoi where a situla with a Paleo-Venetian inscription was found. In the county of Casan, bronze objects, iron circles, glass marbles, vases and debris were found. The pre-historical material led us to believe that there were human settlements even before the Roman era. The general idea is that a fortress was built here in the first centuries after Christ to protect the road that from Friuli through the Alpago reached the Piave Valley. Another corroborating data comes from the settlements found in Pieve di Frùsseda, a nearby place used as a connection between north and south. Later on, during the medieval age, the name Pieve di Frùsseda was changed to Capodiponte. In the history of this town, the bridge over the Piave has a particular relevance. The first time that the bridge was built was in 1181; in 1412 was destroyed to avoid the entrance of enemies through the Val Belluna; it was rebuilt in 1415, and burned again in 1484. In the past two centuries, it was destroyed and rebuilt at least five times. Over this bridge, there are the most important connecting roads to the valleys. The county of Ponte nelle Alpi was thus named in 1867. It saw the passage of all of those who went south especially towards Venice.

Today the territory is very diversified in its characteristics and is modified in comparison to the previous centuries. Now it represents a connection with the economy of the Belluno Valley. There are only a few that are left in common with the ancient urban structure that is conserved only in the minor villages. In these villages, it is possible to see "historical homes" with stone walls, with or without balconies supported by columns. In addition to the Parco della Vena d'Oro and the homonymous mineral water springs, the churches of Cadola, which holds two prestigious paintings by Frigimelica il Vecchio and a golden grail; the Madonna di Vedoia Church, built in 1730, with the Virgin Mary that decorates the main altar that is a copy of the one by Tiziano; and also the little church of S. Andrea, which probably dates back to the XII century; S. Caterina Church, where in 1961 a few beautiful 1400's frescoes were found; the churches of Cugnan, Quantin and Losego Churches should be visited. The Cappellari Villa, in the village of Fontanelle, has a few Roman tombstones in the garden. Amongst the famous men who were born in this area, we would like to remember the Boito Family; Silvestro, the father, was a miniature designer and painter, as well as the better-known sons Camillo and Arrigo. After the 60's and their urban residential development, today the county is together with Cadore and the Treviso Plain, an important center for commerce and trading (the railway connection dates back to 1938). Ponte nelle Alpi, for its particular position represents an obligatory passage for those who want to reach the Val Belluna. It has good hotels and restaurants available, which allow a precious, interesting and tasty stopover. In the highland of the county, there are many impressive villages, such as; Piaia, Vich, Cugnan, Col and Losego, the perfect frame for a panorama which opens over the Alpago Valley, the long Piave Valley all the way to Longarone and Val Belluna. The village of Quantin, which we will find just before reaching Nevegal, shows its houses with bright-colored roofs and a "special order," which alternates between fields and woods. During the winter, an ice-skating rink, very well lit is an alternative choice for those who don't feel like skiing down the slopes or in the cross-country skiing trail created in Pian Longhi together with Ponte.

Mappa Ponte Nelle Alpi 

Top
Provincia di Belluno - Via S. Andrea, 5 - 32100 Belluno
Tel:0437-959111; Fax: 0437-959280
Back home I E F D S