THE CIVIC MUSEUMS and modern art collections
On the ground floor, the archaeology section includes material ranging from the Prehistoric period to the late Middle Ages. Among the exhibits is the burial tomb of a hunter from the Upper Palaeolithic period, with painted stones and burial objects. On the second and third floors is the art gallery, with paintings and sculptures mainly from artists from the Veneto from the 14th to the19th centuries (works by Andrea Brustolon, Cesare Vecellio, Palma il Giovane, Domenico Tintoretto, Sebastiano and Marco Ricci, Ippolito Caffi and Giovanni De Min). There is also a particularly interesting collection of porcelain objects, bronze plaques, votive offerings and jewellery from Belluno.
The Museo Civico in Feltre,  inaugurated in 1928, is located in Palazzo Villabruna (16th century). On the ground floor, in the archaeology section, you can see objects ranging from the Paleovenetian period to the Renaissance. On the upper floors, the collection of furniture recreates the appearance of a noble household. The art gallery includes works by artists from the Veneto from the 16th to 19th centuries, such as Lorenzo Luzzo, Pietro de Marascalchi, Gentile Bellini, Giambattista Cima da Conegliano, Palma il Giovane, Niccolò Renieri, Pietro Liberi and Francesco Maffei.
The Galleria d’Arte Moderna (Modern Art Gallery) in Feltre, inaugurated in 1938, bears the name of Carlo Rizzarda and contains some of his numerous wrought iron designs and works (balustrades, gates, gratings, lamps, decorative elements). The gallery is housed in Palazzo Bovio-Cumano, which was bequeathed to the Municipality of Feltre by Rizzarda himself (Feltre 1883-Milan 1931). The modern art collection also includes paintings, sculptures and ceramics by artists from the 19th and 20th centuries, among them Casorati, Schiele, Fattori, Signorini, Induno, Ciardi, Boudin, Carrà, Wildt, Messina, Andreotti, Mazzolani and Chini. You will find another modern art museum in Cortina d’Ampezzo , named after Mario Rimoldi. The gallery contains one of the largest private collections of Italian twentieth-century figurative art, with works by Carrà, Campigli, De Chirico, De Pisis, Sironi, Guttuso, Morandi, Music, Savinio and Tomea. The works are exhibited in turns and complemented with paintings from other museums and international art collections. [C.A.N.]
Distance: approx. 100 km
Time: 2 hours 15 minutes, excluding stops