Questo sito utilizza i cookies: per ulteriori informazioni accedi alla pagina Privacy

   

Alboino's Castle

The Castle of Feltre, better known as Alboino's Castle, according to historical research was built on the ruins of a Roman watchtower.
The “Colle delle Capre” (hill of goats) is the hill on which stands the town enclosed by walls that are still almost completely preserved.

The castle is situated on the top of the hill and was completely surrounded by walls with four towers, according to the traditional style of the manors in the area. The northern tower was known and the “Powder Tower”, but only its basis are still preserved.

The “Tower of Campanon”, which still dominates the entire building, was used to announce, with bell tolls, the beginning of executions and to communicate, with smoke or fire signals, with the Sanctuary of the Saints Vittore and Corona on Mount Miesna and with Col Marcellon, places where the inhabitants took refuge in case of danger. Above the front door there are three coats of arms carved in bas-relief: the middle one has a turreted castle which is the emblem of the city. On the south side of the Campanon tower was painted the lion of St. Mark, symbol of the Republic of Venice that ruled the city from 1404 to 1797. The “Clock Tower” overlooks the parvis of the Church of Saints Rocco and Sebastian and Piazza Maggiore square and features a crescent moon on the top that comes from Middle East, part of the war booty collected by the Venetians during the Battle of Lepanto in 1571.

The main building houses a small chapel, a kitchen and armory where are still preserved some beautiful frescoes, attributed to the painter Lorenzo Luzzo (native of Feltre) and his school. The same artist painted the outside of the castle in 1518 of which remain a few small fragments.
The inner courtyard has a well of the late Middle Ages which consists of a monolithic basin.
Originally it was possible to enter the castle through a door that overlooked the current Lombard fountains built in the fifteenth century.

Today the castle is privately owned and is clearly visible from the road that leads to Feltre as well as from Piazza Maggiore square, where starts the small uphill stretch that reaches the entrance of the castle.

Socio Fondatore

IT DE

Heart Cart Newsletter Go Search

Cart

Newsletter

Subscription

To subscribe please enter your email

Unsubscription

For unsubscribe from newsletter insert your email

Login

Please enter your e-mail and password

First time on Infodolomiti.it?

Start now. It's easy and fast!

Alboino's Castle

Feltre, piazza Maggiore square with Alboino's castle (photo Lorena Viel)

The Castle of Feltre, better known as Alboino's Castle, according to historical research was built on the ruins of a Roman watchtower.
The “Colle delle Capre” (hill of goats) is the hill on which stands the town enclosed by walls that are still almost completely preserved.

The castle is situated on the top of the hill and was completely surrounded by walls with four towers, according to the traditional style of the manors in the area. The northern tower was known and the “Powder Tower”, but only its basis are still preserved.

The “Tower of Campanon”, which still dominates the entire building, was used to announce, with bell tolls, the beginning of executions and to communicate, with smoke or fire signals, with the Sanctuary of the Saints Vittore and Corona on Mount Miesna and with Col Marcellon, places where the inhabitants took refuge in case of danger. Above the front door there are three coats of arms carved in bas-relief: the middle one has a turreted castle which is the emblem of the city. On the south side of the Campanon tower was painted the lion of St. Mark, symbol of the Republic of Venice that ruled the city from 1404 to 1797. The “Clock Tower” overlooks the parvis of the Church of Saints Rocco and Sebastian and Piazza Maggiore square and features a crescent moon on the top that comes from Middle East, part of the war booty collected by the Venetians during the Battle of Lepanto in 1571.

The main building houses a small chapel, a kitchen and armory where are still preserved some beautiful frescoes, attributed to the painter Lorenzo Luzzo (native of Feltre) and his school. The same artist painted the outside of the castle in 1518 of which remain a few small fragments.
The inner courtyard has a well of the late Middle Ages which consists of a monolithic basin.
Originally it was possible to enter the castle through a door that overlooked the current Lombard fountains built in the fifteenth century.

Today the castle is privately owned and is clearly visible from the road that leads to Feltre as well as from Piazza Maggiore square, where starts the small uphill stretch that reaches the entrance of the castle.

History

The Castle of Feltre, better known as Alboino's Castle, according to historical research was built on the ruins of a Roman watchtower. Legend has it that the castle was built in 570 by Alboin (famous Lombardic king), but the first documents date back only to the 10th -11th century.

The castle was renovated many times over the centuries: Antonio Cambruzzi, a historian from Feltre, narrates of a restoration in the early thirteenth century and of another one in the second half of the sixteenth century, when, due to a lighting strike, the bells fell down breaking the attic and reaching the ground floor.
The current bell of the tower was made in Bormio and installed in 1664. It was the military symbol and harbinger of the public meetings of citizens.

Today the Tower of Campanon has three construction phases: the first stage, up to 19 meters high is of Pre-Romanesque times, the second part (from 19 to 25 meters high) dates back to late Middle Ages, and the last layer, up to 35 meters, is of the second half of the sixteenth century. These three stages of construction are related to the same number of periods of Feltre's history, in particular to the sixteenth-century rebuilding of the city due to the disastrous fire that destroyed it in 1510.

 



Address:

Salita Nicolò Ramponi
32032 Feltre