Questo sito utilizza i cookies: per ulteriori informazioni accedi alla pagina Privacy

   

Andraz Castle

The only still existing castle in the north of the province is the Andraz Castle, in the municipality of Livinallongo del Col di Lana. However even for this fortress, man's neglect over the centuries and the bombing of World War it led to an almost total abandonment of the fortress, which only at the end of the last century has been recovered thanks to a major conservative renovation (1986-2002) and now it can therefore be visited again. Following the paths it is possible to go along the walls, partially reconstructed by recovering the ancient material collapsed in order to keep the building in a safe state, and understand the original structure organized on multiple levels. Through external staircase, which winds along the huge boulder that forms the basis of the fortress, you can enter from the original access in what has now become a museum of itself, telling the manor and transformations of the territory in which this was built.

Documented for the first time after the year one thousand, the Andraz Castle stands on a rocky outcrop at the foot of the Passo Falzarego, in a great location that could control all the access roads to the area: south from Caprile and then from the lower part of Belluno and the Venetian Plain, north through the Valparola pass from Val Badia and Val Pusteria and through the saddle Falzarego from Ampezzano and Cadore.
The fortress was part of a larger defence system, that connected visually to other existing fortifications in the Middle Ages and of which nothing remains today, like the castle of Avoscano Conti (which stood in the hamlet of Avoscan in the municipality of San Tomaso Agordino), Rocca Pietore (where today stands the capital of the municipality of Rocca Pietore) and the fortification of Solator (in Selva di Cadore, of which today it is possible to visit a medieval underground passage).

Between the thirteenth and fourteenth centuries, the Andraz castle was inhabited by feudal families of the Prince-Bishop of Bressanone, which fell under the authorities at the time this area of ​​Alto Agordino, while from 1416 it became the direct ownership of the Bishopric, under where he remained until 1802.

Among the distinguished inhabitants of the manor is the theologian, scientist and one of the most important philosophers of his time, Bishop of Brixen, Niccolò Cusano, who chose Andraz for long periods between 1457 and 1460 because of its protected position. Originally consisting of a base and a wall of stone with the internal structure of wood, the fortress was rebuilt in 1484 after a raging fire. Then it was realized the building as today we can intuit it, that was entirely of stone and wider scope and  that follows the course of the rock on which it stands.

Among the buildings contained in the fort, a small church, whose seventeenth-century gilt wood altar is preserved today in the Andraz village church, a little further downstream from the castle, and melting furnaces in which the ore extracted from the nearby mines of Fursil (Colle Saint Lucia) was processed.

The Napoleonic wars, resulting in the changed political and social situation, and the depletion of mining led the castle - which had lost both its defensive and production function- to a progressive abandonment. In the nineteenth century the fortress was sold to private that stripped roof, the furniture and interior furnishings. The work of ruin was concluded by Austrian bombardments from the above positions of Col di Lana during the First World War. A long and troubled history, which has left the Andraz Castle as we can see it now: a striking stone giant surrounded by even more imposing and majestic giants as the Dolomites. A timeless place where you can still feel the history, that from fairy tales of brave knights and dark castles marvels reality.

Socio Fondatore

IT DE

Heart Cart Newsletter Go Search

Cart

Newsletter

Subscription

To subscribe please enter your email

Unsubscription

For unsubscribe from newsletter insert your email

Login

Please enter your e-mail and password

First time on Infodolomiti.it?

Start now. It's easy and fast!

Andraz Castle

The only still existing castle in the north of the province is the Andraz Castle, in the municipality of Livinallongo del Col di Lana. However even for this fortress, man's neglect over the centuries and the bombing of World War it led to an almost total abandonment of the fortress, which only at the end of the last century has been recovered thanks to a major conservative renovation (1986-2002) and now it can therefore be visited again. Following the paths it is possible to go along the walls, partially reconstructed by recovering the ancient material collapsed in order to keep the building in a safe state, and understand the original structure organized on multiple levels. Through external staircase, which winds along the huge boulder that forms the basis of the fortress, you can enter from the original access in what has now become a museum of itself, telling the manor and transformations of the territory in which this was built.

Documented for the first time after the year one thousand, the Andraz Castle stands on a rocky outcrop at the foot of the Passo Falzarego, in a great location that could control all the access roads to the area: south from Caprile and then from the lower part of Belluno and the Venetian Plain, north through the Valparola pass from Val Badia and Val Pusteria and through the saddle Falzarego from Ampezzano and Cadore.
The fortress was part of a larger defence system, that connected visually to other existing fortifications in the Middle Ages and of which nothing remains today, like the castle of Avoscano Conti (which stood in the hamlet of Avoscan in the municipality of San Tomaso Agordino), Rocca Pietore (where today stands the capital of the municipality of Rocca Pietore) and the fortification of Solator (in Selva di Cadore, of which today it is possible to visit a medieval underground passage).

Between the thirteenth and fourteenth centuries, the Andraz castle was inhabited by feudal families of the Prince-Bishop of Bressanone, which fell under the authorities at the time this area of ​​Alto Agordino, while from 1416 it became the direct ownership of the Bishopric, under where he remained until 1802.

Among the distinguished inhabitants of the manor is the theologian, scientist and one of the most important philosophers of his time, Bishop of Brixen, Niccolò Cusano, who chose Andraz for long periods between 1457 and 1460 because of its protected position. Originally consisting of a base and a wall of stone with the internal structure of wood, the fortress was rebuilt in 1484 after a raging fire. Then it was realized the building as today we can intuit it, that was entirely of stone and wider scope and  that follows the course of the rock on which it stands.

Among the buildings contained in the fort, a small church, whose seventeenth-century gilt wood altar is preserved today in the Andraz village church, a little further downstream from the castle, and melting furnaces in which the ore extracted from the nearby mines of Fursil (Colle Saint Lucia) was processed.

The Napoleonic wars, resulting in the changed political and social situation, and the depletion of mining led the castle - which had lost both its defensive and production function- to a progressive abandonment. In the nineteenth century the fortress was sold to private that stripped roof, the furniture and interior furnishings. The work of ruin was concluded by Austrian bombardments from the above positions of Col di Lana during the First World War. A long and troubled history, which has left the Andraz Castle as we can see it now: a striking stone giant surrounded by even more imposing and majestic giants as the Dolomites. A timeless place where you can still feel the history, that from fairy tales of brave knights and dark castles marvels reality.