Eyewear Museum

The Eyewear Museum in Pieve di Cadore, among the most important in the world, is dedicated to the theme of eyewear, which widely developed in Cadore from the late nineteenth century.
Created in 1956, during the Olympic Winter Games in Cortina, the museum originated form the exhibition organized by the physician Enrico De Lotto in that year.

Concretely developed since 1987, this museum is actually born with the intent of preserving the remains of a craft and industry, which represented the main wealth of the area.
Exactly in 1987 an important collection, that of the optician Georges Bodart,  which consists of 1,600 pieces, including glasses, binoculars, spotting scopes and cases from all over the world, was in fact acquired.  Very valuable items that tell the history of eyewear in all its facets, accompanied by postcards, images and explanatory panels through which it is possibile to deepen this interesting topic.
Among the objects are worth mentioning the gold  and jade glasses of Chinese origin and dating from the late eighteenth and early nineteenth century.

Since 2007 the museum has undergone a makeover: its headquarters was in fact transferred near the Birthplace of Tiziano Vecellio inside a modern structure and the new museum is more articulate. The museum is on two floors and retraces, in chronological order, the evolution of the fascinating eyewear macrocosm.

The exhibition presents a study on the development of the concept of eyewear and vision through the photographs of faces and the interesting kinetic work of David Boriani, but also the appearance of science and technology eyewear.

An interesting section of the exhibition is dedicated to the eye glasses case, which is not only as a container but also an accessory: in this regard are not lacking mother of pearl rather than silver or even gold boxes.
The show also runs through the world of art: it is possible to see also "Self-portrait with yellow glasses" by Michelangelo Pistoletto.

Upstairs there is a section entirely dedicated to the area's history and the eyewear in Cadore.
A grinding wheel by knife-grinder and tools of a walking petenèr remind the visitor that the opening of the first factory dedicated to eyewear, in 1878, was made possible thanks to the intervention of Angelo Frescura (street vendor) and Giovanni Lozza (grinder) .

The exhibition continues with photographs, historical documents and tools that tell the production phases of eyewears and a multimedia area where some films illustrate the techniques of craftsmanship.



Aperto/a al pubblico
Address:

Via Arsenale, 15
32044 Pieve di Cadore

Contacts
scatta, posta e tagga
#infodolomiti