Villa de Manzoni ai Patt di Sedico, facciata (foto R. Michelotti)

The territory of Sedico is rich in history and ancient settlements that date back to the Bronze Age; evidence of its important past are the remains of the fortified "Castelliere di Noal" (fortified borough) which can be reached by a short, well-marked pedestrian path.

Northwards, the area of Sedico is mainly mountainous, including the Monti del Sole, the Dolomites walls of the Schiara, the rocks and the green meadows of the Talverna and the famous peak called Gusela del Vescovà. The territory is also crossed by the "Alta Via delle Dolomiti n. 1" (High Route of the Dolomites no. 1) and in particular, Refuge Bianchet is the starting point for interesting hikes in the National Park of the Belluno Dolomites. For all nature lovers there are countless marked paths as the one on Mount Peron (1486 m) and on Pala Alta (1933 m). There are many churches in the town, as the church of San Nicolò in Bribanèt built in 1502 by the brothers Buzzati and today national monument with its beautiful wooden altar and triptych created by Agostino da Lodi, or the parish church where are displayed many art treasures including a "Madonna and Child" by Francesco Vecellio, maybe a four-hand painting with his well-known brother Tiziano.

The great extension of the municipal area of Sedico and its strategic position between the Valley of Belluno and the Cordevole valley up to the gates of Agordo, has made the town the principal site chosen by nobles and landowners for the construction of their residences as the seventeenth-century Villa Zuppani in Pasa and Villa Crotta in Poian, Villa Rudio and Miari-Giacomin in the small village of Landrìs and Villa de Manzoni, built in 1835 by the architect Giuseppe Japelli and internally painted by Giovanni De Min and Pietro Paoletti. The latter houses the Historical Museum of the 7th Alpini Regiment which features a rich collection of weapons, historical pennants, relics and documents that tell the history of the regiment from its foundation in 1887 until today.

Sedico is also an important industrial center, home to many companies; among all here there is one of the seats of Luxottica, world leader in the production of eyeglasses. The territory is still center of craft activities built along the left bank of the Cordevole stream, and fed by the specific channels, the so-called millraces, that provided hydraulic energy for factories, mills and sawmills and whose path has recently been rediscovered thanks to an easy pedestrian route that takes visitors from Bribano to Mas di Sedico.

Eating and Sleeping

Visit the Dolomites


Home Page  |  Live the Dolomites  |  Municipalities  |  Sedico
scatta, posta e tagga