Chiesa di Santa Maria del Rosario

The first document attesting the existence of the territory of the parish church of Alpago is the famous bull of Pope Lucius III (1185) that officially confer to the bishop of Belluno certain rights and possessions in the diocesan territory.

It can however be assumed that the construction of the original parish church of Pieve d'Alpago took place around the ninth century, as evidenced by other ancient foundations such as the parishes of Cadola (Ponte nelle Alpi), Castion (Belluno) and Limana, all named after the Virgin. The church of Pieve d'Alpago is the "mother" of all those scattered in the surrounding area and it is here that, over the centuries, the noble families of the area had their own sepulcher carved into the floor of the main nave.

The earthquake of 1873 disrupted the building, which was readily reconstructed according to a project by architect Giuseppe Segusini from Feltre with neoclassical lines and in 1929 a large organ was purchased that is still in use today. In 1936, a new intense earthquake devastated the territory and the church was restored again enriching also the pictorial cycles by Arturo and Lorenzo Roella, Abele Della Colletta and Luigi Vardanega; the church also hosts some works dating from the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries and from the ancient parish.

Works of art

The walls of the apse host some works including, in the centre, an altarpiece of a nineteenth-century unknown author from the Venetian parish of San Cassiano and donated to the archpriest church of Pieve d'Alpago in 1940 by the patriarch of Venice. The canvas depicts the Madonna of the Rosary with the Child seated on the clouds, while in the foreground stand the figures of San Domenico and Santa Caterina, the disseminators of the practice of the Rosary.

The fresco painted in 1939 by Abele Della Colletta from Belluno in the large apsidal basin portrays the Saints Anna, Gioacchino and the young Madonna, while the two specular panels with the Baptism of Christ and the Guardian Angel placed in the small chapel that houses the baptismal font are coeval works by Arturo and Lorenzo Roella. 1939 is also the date of the two frescoes that face each other on the walls of the presbytery painted by Luigi Vardanega from Belluno, with Jesus among the children and the driving of the money changers from the temple.

Some works on the walls belong to the original church, including an altarpiece of the Madonna del Rosario between Saints Domenico and Rosa da Lima, now hanging above the secondary door on the right and painted around the mid-eighteenth century by Gaspare Diziani and the first altar on the right, a work in painted and gilded wood made in the Costantini workshop (16th-17th centuries), with an altarpiece portraying San Gallo between Saints Cosma and Damiano painted in the 16th century by Nicolò de Stefani from Belluno.

Nearby

The church of San Floriano in Plois overlooks the Lake of Santa Croce; from here you can enjoy a splendid view towards the ridges of the Visentin straight ahead, the Monte Dolada to the right, and to the left the Fadalto saddle towards Vittorio Veneto.

The small church, dating back at least to the fifteenth century, is dedicated to Floriano, a saint protector against fires and was expanded over the centuries with the increase of the population of the village; in particular, the building was renovated in the seventeenth century. The strong earthquake of 1873 affected the church, but it was readily restored thanks to the intervention of the inhabitants particularly fond of their place of worship, as it happened also after the earthquake of 1936.

Inside there is a magnificent wooden Crucifix painted by Andrea Brustolon in the early eighteenth century, an altarpiece painted by Francesco Frigimelica in the seventeenth century, with the patron saint Floriano extinguishing a fire and Saints Antonio Abate, Francesco d'Assisi and Tiziano watched over from the Virgin with the Child, while the ceiling houses a fresco painted after 1936 by local painter Umberto Da Pos and depicting San Floriano intent on blessing the farmer kneeling at his feet.



Opening days and accessibility

Church of Santa Maria del Rosario, Pieve d'Alpago: open daily.
Church of San Floriano, Plois: open during celebrations.

Address:

Via Roma
32010 Alpago

Contacts
scatta, posta e tagga
#infodolomiti