Chiesa di Sant'Andrea - Sitran

The sixteenth-century building dedicated to Sant'Andrea, built where once was an ancient chapel, was rebuilt during the first half of the seventeenth century and expanded in 1860 following the increase in population.

The most interesting work is certainly the Last Supper on the right-hand wall of the presbytery painted by Francesco Frigimelica "the Elder" around 1637, with particular attention to many daily life details such as the ceramic jug and the servant who brings food and fruits on the table.

In the parish territory of Sitran, in the Bastia hamlet, there is also the church of the Santissimo Redentore built by the noble Gera family at the beginning of the nineteenth century, who also commissioned the beautiful cycle of frescoes, which can still be admired today, to Giovanni De Min from Belluno in 1844.

Nearby

The parish of Sitran includes the hamlet of Bastia with the church of Santissimo Redentore. It was built starting in 1812 on the initiative of the noble Gera family, which owned some land here, but in 1873 was devastated by an earthquake that hit the entire province and later suffered the destruction brought by the two world wars. But the church was always rebuilt and today it preserves in a structure dating to the 1960s some of the frescoes that painter Giovanni De Min from Belluno created on commission of the noble Bartolomeo Gera in 1844.

The apse shows a colourful Madonna of the Rosary in the middle, between some saints: Laura with the palm of martyrdom, Augusta with the gear wheel that was the instrument of her torture, Giovanna, daughter of the king of France Louis XI, in royal clothing, Anna with Child Mary and finally Caterina of Siena with the Dominican robe, a cross and the head surrounded by a crown of thorns.

The parish of Sitran includes also the church of San Paolo in the La Secca hamlet.

The apse features a colourful Madonna del Rosario in the centre, sided by some saints: Laura with the palm of martyrdom, Augusta with the gear wheel instrument of her torture, Giovanna, daughter of the king of France Louis XI, in royal clothes, Anna with the Child Mary and finally Caterina da Siena with the Dominican robe, the cross and the head surrounded by a crown of thorns.

Finally, the parish territory of Sitran includes the church of San Paolo in the La Secca hamlet.



Opening days and accessibility

Church of Sant'Andrea, Sitran: open during celebrations.
Church of the Santissimo Redentore, Bastia: open during celebrations.
Church of San Paolo, La Secca: open on special occasions.

Contacts
scatta, posta e tagga
#infodolomiti