Borgo Piave

Coming down from the city centre through the south gate, Porta Rugo, in few minutes we reach the ancient port on the river: Borgo Piave. The small village still carries traces of an ancient and glorious past as a crossing point for trade between the Cadore, Treviso and Venice.

The rafts filled with people, animals and goods came through this place and the rafters descended to return to the port of Codissago, north of Longarone or to the Cadore ports. This location also featured one of the few bridges on the Piave, rebuilt several times and whose remains are called the "old bridge" and the Victoria bridge inaugurated on May 23rd 1926 and decorated according to the project of architect Riccardo Alfarè from Belluno, who left numerous testimonies of his work in the city and beyond, including the central Cinema Italia in Via Garibaldi.

The square of Borgo Piave, in addition to the building known as "il Botegòn", hosts the church of San Nicolò, patron of the raftsmen and of those who had to do with water in general. The first building, raised according to historical information around 1361, was rebuilt in the mid-sixteenth century, as it had become too small to accommodate the community. New interventions became indispensable in 1747, but the current building was renovated in 1861, probably with the participation of the famous architect Giuseppe Segusini from Feltre.

Works of art

Above the main entrance of the church of San Nicolò, we can admire a large headstone whose text, in Latin, recalls that in 1568 a new bridge of beams was raised below which the Piave, "will flow from now on more peaceful and will hit the construction with gentler waves". The second headstone, dated 1622, recalls the defence works made by the village against the floods of the river ordered by the Venetian rector Federico Corner, while the third inscription carved on the architrave of the portal in 1547 recalls a biblical psalm.

Inside, the church has a single high nave; on the right wall, the painting portraying the Madonna and Child between Saints Nicola and Francesco, is a work by Francesco Frigimelica the Elder, a seventeenth-century painter from Belluno. Also interesting are the Via Crucis stations, perhaps attributable to a local artist from the eighteenth century. The church also houses a wonderful carved and polychrome Crucifix, made before 1723 in the workshop of Andrea Brustolon and exhibited on the lower right altar.

On the walls we can see also some works by the local and contemporary painter Brunetta Cornaviera, while the high altar houses the Madonna of Lourdes in a niche.



Opening days and accessibility

Church of San Nicolò: open every Sunday morning.

Address:

Via San Nicolò
32100 Belluno loc. Borgo Piave

Contacts
Home Page  |  Visit the Dolomites  |  Churches and sanctuaries  |  Belluno  |  La Città  |  Borgo Piave
scatta, posta e tagga
#infodolomiti