Diocesan Museum of Sacred Art

The Diocesan Museum is housed inside the ancient “Vescovado di Feltre” (Bishop's palace in Feltre) in the heart of the historic town on the western side of the walled city and was opened to public in 2007.

The palace became the bishop's seat in the second half of the thirteenth century and was later expanded and modified several times. The most important intervention of the palace was promoted by Bishop Jacopo Rovellio (1584-1610) and completed by his successor Agostino Gradenigo (1610-1628) who also built the majestic carved-stone entrance.

In the hallway entrance you can admire a fresco dated 1504 characterized by contemporary coats of arms, one of the few evidence that was not destroyed by the fire that at the beginning of the sixteenth century that destroyed the city of Feltre.

Recent renovations allowed to discover the several interventions, the structure of the building and the original use of the rooms. The palace was built on limestone that was used also for the restoration of the stairs and floors of the building.

The entrance hall is equipped for conferences and conventions; on the left of the entrance there is a room with documentaries and multimedia stations.
The ancient cellars dug into the rock host a small exhibition of early medieval parapets, testimony of the early centuries of Christianity in the territory of the ancient diocese of Belluno and Feltre. In the rooms on the mezzanine floor you can admire Venetian eighteenth-century paintings made for the chapel of Villa Fabris Guarnieri in Tomo di Feltre.

In the Gradenigo salon on the first floor, characterized by a beautiful painted wooden ceiling, there is an art gallery which, along a chronological and stylistic itinerary, exhibits paintings dated back to the fifteenth and eighteenth centuries. The adjacent rooms are dedicated to sculpture and feature works of art from the surrounding area. You can admire many sculptures made by Andrea Brustolon, also called “Michelangelo of wood”.

The ancient chapel of the palace houses the most valuable works of the entire museum, such as the chalice of the deacon Orso of the sixth century, a Madonna of the '400 in alabaster, the post-Byzantine cross in box-wood (1542) and the reliquary bust of St. Sylvester made in 1497 by the Florentine goldsmith Antonio di Salvi.

Upstairs, there is a section dedicated to liturgical vestments and religious golden jewelery, with objects dated between the thirteenth and nineteenth centuries.

The Diocesan Museum also hosts temporary exhibitions and offers educational activities and guided tours for groups and school groups.



Opening days and accessibility

 Opening hours:

- summer time: Friday, Saturday and Sunday from 9.30 am to 1 pm and from 2.30 pm to 7 pm;
- winter time: Friday, Saturday and Sunday from 9 am to 1 pm and from 2 pm to 6 pm

Orari di apertura:

estivo: venerdì, sabato e domenica dalle ore 9,30 alle ore 13,00 e dalle ore 14,30 alle ore 19,00
invernale: venerdì, sabato e domenica dalle ore 9,00 alle ore 13,00 e dalle ore 14,00 alle ore 18,00

Address:

Via Paradiso, 19
32032 Feltre

Contacts
Home Page  |  Visit the Dolomites  |  Museums and collections  |  Historic and Artistic Museums  |  Diocesan Museum of Sacred Art
scatta, posta e tagga
#infodolomiti